Assessment of COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance among Health Care Workers and General Population - A Cross-Sectional Survey
Introduction: This cross-sectional survey was conducted to estimate the proportion of participants among health care workers and general population who are willing to get vaccinated against COVID-19 and those who are not, and to identify the reasons for vaccine hesitancy among the participants.
Methods: Health care workers of a tertiary care hospital and the general population residing in the nearby areas of the tertiary care hospital were predominantly included in the study. A specific questionnaire was designed, validated, and administered to the participants after obtaining consent.
Result: The responses were collected using Google Form and compiled in an excel sheet for analysis. The difference in opinion with regard to acceptance of the COVID-19 vaccine was statistically analysed using Chi-square test. The vaccine acceptance rate was high among the general population (70.2%) as compared to health care workers (56.7%) (p = 0.0006, highly significant). The remaining proportions of participants (43.3% of health care workers and 29.8% of general population) were hesitant to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Conclusion: The reasons for vaccine hesitancy were fear of harmful effects, doubtful efficacy, lack of transparency in clinical trials, and fast track vaccine development.
How to cite this article:
Abinaya E, Maignana Kumar R, Ruckmani A, Arunkumar R. Assessment of COVID-19 Vaccine Acceptance among Health Care Workers and General Population - A Cross-Sectional Survey. J Commun Dis. 2021; 53(2): 82-88.
World Health Organization [Internet]. WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard; [cited 2021 Feb 28]. Available
Krammer F. SARS-CoV-2 vaccines in development. Nature. 2020 Oct;586(7830):516-27. [PubMed] [Google
U.S. Food & Drug Administration [Internet]. Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. Available from: https://
U.S. Food & Drug Administration [Internet]. FDA Takes Additional Action in Fight Against COVID-19 By Issuing
Emergency Use Authorization for Second COVID-19 Vaccine. Available from: https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/
Fisher KA, Bloomstone SJ, Walder J, Crawford S, Fouayzi H, Mazor KM. Attitudes toward a potential
SARS-CoV-2 vaccine: a survey of US adults. Ann Intern Med. 2020;173(12):964-73. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
Freeman D, Loe BS, Chadwick A, Vaccari C, Waite F, Rosebrock L, Jenner L, Petit A, Lewandowsky S,
Vanderslott S, Innocenti S, Larkin M, Giubilini A, Yu LM, McShane H, Pollard AJ, Lambe S. COVID-19
Vaccine Hesitancy in the UK: The Oxford Coronavirus Explanations, Attitudes, and Narratives Survey
(OCEANS) II. Psychol Med. 2020 Dec 11;1-34. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
The Hindu [Internet]. Coronavirus | Study warns of COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy. Available from: https://
Lazarus JV, Ratzan SC, Palayew A, Gostin LO, Larson HJ, Rabin K, Kimball S, El-Mohandes A. A global survey of
potential acceptance of a COVID-19 vaccine. Nat Med. 2021; 27(2):225-8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
India Today [Internet]. 60% polled Indians still hesitant towards Covid-19 vaccine, shows survey. Available from: https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-outbreak/vaccine-updates/story/sixty-percentage-indians-stillhesitant-covid-19-vaccine-survey-1762749-2021-01-26
Copyright (c) 2021 Journal of Communicable Diseases (E-ISSN: 2581-351X & P-ISSN: 0019-5138)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.